- 2½ cups basmati rice or 400 g, washed
- 3½ cups water or 875 ml
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 medium onion or 125 g, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 500 g skinned chicken breast fillet
- 2 cubes MAGGI Chicken Stock Bouillon Cube
- 2 medium tomatoes or 300 g, peeled and pureed
- ½ cup yogurt or 125 ml
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1½ tablespoons ground garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- Pinch of saffron filaments, soaked in ¼ cup or 60 ml water
- Place rice, and water in a medium saucepan and cook with stirring until it boils. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is cooked. Remove from heat and spread over a large platter to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in large saucepan, cook onion with stirring for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown in color. Add garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant. Add chicken and stir until it’s cooked.
- Add MAGGI Chicken Stock cubes, tomato, yogurt, lemon juice, tomato paste and spices. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium pot, place half the quantity of the prepared rice and the chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle the chopped coriander and mint over the chicken mixture and cover the top with the remaining rice.
- Pour the saffron water on top. Cover firmly with the pot lid and cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until rice is completely cooked.
- Serve and enjoy the delicious biryani in Iftar.