A mum has warned parents about the dangers of headbands after the death of a 14-week-old baby.

Glaswegian mum Leanne Wilson posted about the incident on Facebook, and said she was sharing the warning on behalf of her friend.

In the since-deleted post, which was shared over 80,000 times, she urged all mums to be aware.

‘Putting this warning out for all mums who have wee babies and use the big bow headbands on them,’ she wrote.

‘My friend has sadly just lost her 14 week old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk.

‘When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn’t moving.. she had passed away.’

Mum’s heartbreaking warning about headbands after baby suffocates

Leanne said that a post mortem revealed the baby girl, named Holly, had died due to ‘suffocation asphyxiation’, adding:

‘She wanted me to share for other new mums the danger some of these baby fashion accessories can have.

‘She had left baby Holly sleeping for only 30 minutes whilst she showered and changed and forgot to remove her headband.’

Leanne added that her friend – who remained unnamed – had been left ‘utterly devastated’ by the accident.

Safety risk

Sheila Merrill, public health adviser at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), has warned parents to be cautious of these headbands.

‘Children can easily swallow, inhale or choke on items left in their reach as they naturally grasp anything and put it in their mouths,’ she told the Liverpool Echo.

‘Once in their mouth they find it difficult to remove the item.

‘Parents can prevent the risk of choking and suffocation by ensuring that small objects or items are kept out of reach of children under the age of three.’

Reference

https://www.netmums.com/baby/mums-heartbreaking-warning-about-headbands-after-baby-suffocates

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.