Mum Kelly Joniec wrote a warning on Facebook to other parents about fidget spinners, after her daughter choked on the toy and ended up having surgery.
This week (15 May 2017), Kelly took to Facebook to explain how she and daughter Britton, 10, had a ‘pretty eventful Saturday’’
The mum from Texas said:
‘On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving.
‘Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over.’
When Britton pointed at her throat, indicating that she was choking on something, Kelly attempted the Heimlich manoeuvre but said ‘there was no resistance’.
‘She said she’d put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it,’ Kelly said.
When Kelly rushed Britton to urgent care, she was soon transferred to Texas Children’s Hospital, where an X-ray showed the small part of the fidget spinner lodged in her wind pipe.
The GI doctor was fascinated … he’d only just learned of fidget spinners that morning when he was at the mall with his son, so it was a surprise to be faced with one in a case a few hours later.’
Fortunately we had a positive outcome
When they arrived at the children’s hospital, Britton was taken to surgery to locate and remove the toy part.
‘Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while … not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia,’ Kelly said.
Warning to parents
Kelly has now issued a warning to parents to ensure they’re aware of the choking hazards these toys can pose to children:
‘From this I wish to offer some word of caution to parents. Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed.
‘Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings.
‘The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.’